Careers in General Practice in Bristol, North Somerset & South Gloucestershire
Bridge View Medical is a Primary care Network with 5 merged practices in South Bristol with c38,000 patients cared for by a team of 150 dedicated Partners and staff. We are proud recipient of Academy Teaching Practice Award. We take pride in saying we offer our staff one of the best training facilities by delivering regular targeted educational sessions by external & internal learned speakers.
We are looking for an experienced Lead Nurse who will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of safe and effective nursing care to the whole practice population. As the team leader for the practice nursing team, the post holder is accountable for nursing service delivery. They will lead and manage all the nursing resources, working closely with multi-disciplinary clinical teams, administrative teams & practice manager to deliver the practice priorities. Clinically, the focus of the role is the delivery of evidence-based practice for patients with acute and chronic conditions and management and preventative nursing interventions to all patients. You will work collaboratively with the whole general practice team and other lead nurses to meet the needs of patients, supporting the delivery and procedures and providing leadership and direction for the nursing team.
Reports to: Chief Nurse and accountable to Lead GP & Practice Manager
Salary: Depending on skills and experience.
Hours: Part - time (Min 25 hrs per week)
Additional: 27 days annual leave, plus BH and 1 week study leave (all pro rata)
Pension: This post qualifies for membership of the NHS Pension scheme.
Job Description. As lead nurse of the treatment room you will continue to carry out clinical treatment room duties, but will have the added responsibility of overseeing the management of the treatment room team. This will include providing a link with the wider surgery and management team.
As lead nurse you will monitor the nursing team who work under you and ensure they are fulfilling their job requirements and adhering to the practices policies and procedures. Your other responsibilities will include coordinating resources required for the treatment room to operate efficiently. This may mean delegating certain ordering tasks to other staff, but you will have overall responsibility for ensuring the system is robust and function effectively.
As lead you will be expected to carry out a variety of administrative tasks, such as dealing with enquiries from the wider team or completing return to work forms; you will also be expected to undertake regular staff appraisals.
In your position as lead nurse you will need to have a good knowledge of the practice procedures i.e. complaints procedure, and be prepared to be involved in the planning and implementing of procedures.
Lead nurses need to ensure their training is all up to date, and also motivate this within their team. For new nurses starting within the practice it is the lead nurse’s responsibility to identify training needs and initiate a plan for these needs to be met.
Clinical skills (or a willingness to be trained) may include the following (but this list is not exhaustive):
· Vaccinations (with additional pediatric vaccination certification an advantage)
· Wound care management (including compression bandaging , in line with current evidence based guidelines)
· Ear irrigation
· Routine immunisations and vaccinations given under a Patient Group Direction
· Cervical Screening
· Management of Long Term Conditions such as asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), diabetes
· Contraceptive pill checks / sexual health
· Additionally the candidate should be able to
· Provide emergency care to patients as necessary and attend annual Basic Life Support and Anaphylaxis training
· Manage team rotas, holiday and absence management
· Participate in nurse team and lead nurse meetings, providing feedback to the operations, management and other clinical heads.
· Chaperoning and assisting, where appropriate, who are being examined
· Undertake the collection, storage and dispatch of pathological specimens including intravenous blood samples, swabs, smears etc and ensure the cleanliness of any equipment used, as per policy
· Assisting in the implementation and management of appropriate health and safety and infection control policies, as defined in local and national polices
· Contributes to management of stock and ordering stock where required
· Contributes to management of medicines and vaccines as per policy
· As part of the role you may be exposed to body fluids, blood, wounds and hence requires pre-employment occupational health referral/check.
· Registered Nurse with current NMC PIN
· Accountability of own role within a nurse-led service
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently and as part of the wider multi-disciplinary team
· Experience of managing a team of nurses
· Responsible for the management of team, training and skills assessment, appraisal, training plan development
· Enthusiastic and motivated to learn new clinical skills where currently not trained
· Willing to undertake training relevant to the position
· Flexible to work across the four different sites as nurse staffing is required
· Accountable to own professional development and performance and act as a role model to others
· Evidence of continuing professional development
· Experience of working in teams within a clinical setting
· Able to build effective working relationships at all levels
· Good time management with the ability to organize daily tasks and prioritize time sensitive tasks
· Able to deal with change in a rapidly changing environment
· Personable and approachable
· Hard working, reliable and resourceful
· Experience within a primary health care setting
· Qualifications and experience in the management of Long Term Conditions such as asthma, COPD and diabetes
· Knowledge of clinical governance issues in Primary Care
· Experience in resource/medicine management
· Experience working with EMIS computer software
· Experience of using Microsoft office eg. Word, Excel
· Knowledge of the local and national health policy and the wider health economy
· Experience working with Patient Group Directions
· Experience in mentoring student nurses
Contact for the Job Vacancy:
Any enquiries about this role may be directed to Anu Putravu (HR Manager) at Bridge View Medical Anupama.email@example.com